Friday, May 22, 2015

Lost in the Forest plus a Bass

Today is cloudy and windy but scientists tell us there is zero chance of rain.  Taking advantage of the dry weather, we went for a walk in the Stadsskogen (City Forest) this morning, intending to go a little out of our way for some exercise and then head to the grocery store and, more importantly, to the liquor store for essential provisions.

As I mentioned in the previous post, the Stadsskogen is a bit difficult to navigate even with a map. Its many trails imperceptibly curve, cross each other here and there, and display signs that mean very little to the uninitiated. I attempted to navigate this maze using my trusty(?) map but, not having the moral fortitude to resist some perhaps unwise decisions being made by my (ahem) walking companion, we ended up totally confused. We ended up a mile or two south of town and had to go back to the apartment to rest up before going to the shops. After all of that, lunch and a nap seemed like an excellent idea.

Yesterday, we visited the Cathedral which, of course, is very beautiful inside and out.


While we were there, someone started playing one of the organs or, more accurately, was noodling around on the organ. It turned out that a boy about 10 years old was the musician. One of the staff swiftly walked over and, without saying a word, flipped a switch silencing the organ, and walked on without breaking stride.  The boy ran off giggling to join his friend.

Taking the elevator up one of the towers, we visited the Treasury and Artifacts exhibit. There was much regalia, gold chalices, crowns, and other treasures both secular and ecclesiastical.

On the bass front, I received my rental bass last night via a youngish Swede who plays professionally in his spare time but spends his workdays as the superintendent of the Uppsala schools. It seems like an important post for someone so young, but apparently things are done differently in Sweden. Who knew?

I had my first practice session today and the bass plays well enough for my temporary purposes even though it has jazz strings rather than arco. My practice area is the storage area for the apartments and is surprisingly clean and well lit, so I am well satisfied.

Tomorrow I am off to Stockholm to meet up with my old friend and European traveling companion from 1976, Jim H. We plan to visit the Vasamuseet and who knows what else.

Ship ahoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment