Thursday, May 28, 2015

Bronze Age Burial Mound

Before I describe the walk I took this morning, let me just say that the days are really long here this time of year and they are going to get quite a bit longer before they get shorter. I took this picture last night at sundown which was at about 9:45PM.

Sunset from our apartment window
Today, I decided to explore Hågahögen, one of the attractions in the local nature preserve, Hågadalen-Nåsten. Hågahögen (the Wikipedia article is in Swedish and Google translate does a poor job. Sorry...) is a Bronze Age burial mound dating back to about 1000 B.C. containing the body of an important personage of the time. It is commonly called "King Björn's Mound" after the somewhat mythical Swedish king who supposedly lived here around that time.

Here are some pictures I took of the beautiful Swedish countryside along the way.




The Burial Mound

From the top of the mound you can see Uppsala Cathedral


Closeup of my new friend, the Scots Pine
The Håga River

Eurasian Magpie looking good in blue

A Bleached Charger (I think I've seen White Christmas too many times...)

Beehives! Bob, this one is for you!

Nice combination of Birch and Scots Pine in the City Forest

Scenic waterfall in the City Forest
This walk took about 2.5 hours and it was well worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment