Saturday, April 26, 2014

Native Plant Garden Survived the Winter

Last spring, I became obsessed with idea of creating a native plant garden in my backyard.  Actually, two of them but most of my time and attention was focused on the area nearest the house.  I mulched and I mulched using who knows how many yards of the stuff.   Then I prowled the native plant sales both in the spring and the fall and planted several of my favorite species.

Over the past month or so, I have been delighted to see that most of my plants survived the winter and are, in fact, looking bigger and stronger than last year.  On the one hand, that's not too surprising since they all evolved to thrive here.  On the other hand, I didn't really know what I was doing and just stuck them in the ground.  Apparently, that was a good strategy.  So... here is a small selection.



Trillium!


Red Huckleberry



Lady Fern (I do like the ladies)



Wood Sorrel




Oregon Grape



Tiger Lily!  I had given this guy up for dead.  But here it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment